Author: admin

first_imgThe 2016 track and field season will get under way on Saturday with the 23rd staging of the Purewater/JC track and field meet on the grounds of Jamaica College (JC), Old Hope Road, starting at 8:30 a.m.With the ISSA-Grace-Kennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships to be contested in early March, expectations are that this could be the biggest opening meet in many years. The meet is one of the qualifiers for the championships as the respective coaches will want to ensure that their charges meet qualifying standards early and take off some early pressure as January is loaded with several development meets.McCrea to be honouredAs usual, a Jamaica College past student who has contributed significantly to the school’s sports programme will be honoured at the meet, and this year’s honouree will be Andrew McCrea. McCrea will be recognised for his contribution to the development of track and field at JC.As usual, athletes will compete in two categories: high schools and clubs and institutions. The age groups for high schools are Under-19, Under-16, and Under-14 for boys; while for girls, it will be Under-19, Under-15, and Under-13.The second category will comprise a mix of clubs and institutions, with competition for males and females.Track events to be contested will be 100m, 800m, 3000m for females, and 5000m for males. There will also be sprint hurdles events over 70m, 80m, 100m, and 110m.Five field events will also be contested – long jump, discus, high jump, shot put, and pole vault.Purewater/JC will once again be awarding 10 individual trophies to the outstanding performers selected by the judges in each class and category.Entries for the meet will be accepted up to noon tomorrow, and according to the organisers, no entries will be accepted on the day of competition.last_img read more

Read more

first_imgNEW YORK, (CMC): Two-time doper and controversial American sprinter Justin Gatlin has vowed to defeat the World’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, at the Rio Olympics later this year. Gatlin is seeking revenge after Bolt put a troubled build-up behind him to beat the American and retain his world 100m and 200m titles in Beijing last year. The prospect of another clash between Bolt and Gatlin sets the tone for an epic 100m showdown during the summer Olympics in Brazil from the 5th to the 21st of August. “I’m going to win. We are bringing it (gold medal) back to the USA. We are going to bring it back to the USA, to LA to New York,” declared Gatlin in an interview with TMZ sports. “We are going on a tour around the country with it around my neck like a gold chain.” Although Gatlin came into the final in Beijing last year on a 28-race unbeaten run, Bolt beat him at the death to snatch victory by one hundredth of a second. Gatlin says he considers himself the closest threat Bolt has ever had and he is working hard to be even better. “It’s my duty to beat the biggest rival possible to make it one of the most epic races in Olympic history, so I got to stand up to the duty. So I am working very hard around the clock,” said Gatlin. “Last year was a nail-biter to the finish line at the world championships. He won over me by a hundredth of a second, so I am the closest threat he has ever had. So right now, I am working to be better than that.”last_img read more

Read more

first_imgFormer Holy Trinity High School footballer, Jordan Foote, lost his battle with bone cancer this morning. Foote who had his leg amputated last December died at 10 o’clock in the University Hospital of the West Indies. His mother, Nadine Sutherland, said the 18-year-old died with members of his family by his side. “His last moment was peaceful as he saw everybody he wanted to see,” she explained. Foote passed away in the company of his mother, brothers, cousins and his former coach Devon Anderson.last_img

Read more

first_imgNEW YORK (AP):He’s a noted filmmaker, a teacher, an honorary Oscar winner, a crazy New York sports fan, and now this: Spike Lee is the next grand marshall of the New York City Marathon.”It’s gonna be a great day in my life,” Lee said in an interview about his new title. “All those runners, coming from all over the world to New York? It’s gonna be a fun time.”Lee, 58, is known as one of his hometown’s great boosters, and so it’s apt that he becomes the first New Yorker to get the title of grand marshall.He’s also only the third person in the race’s 45-year history to have it, race officials said, after Czech running star Emil Zatopek in 1979 and Grete Waitz of Norway – winner of a record nine titles, who died in 2011 – in 2003.”When we looked at having a grand marshall for this year’s TCS New York City Marathon, we envisioned someone the world would immediately recognise as a sports enthusiast and quintessential New Yorker, and Spike was the perfect fit,” said Michael Capiraso, president and CEO of the New York Road Runners, in a statement.Lee professes to having no idea why he was chosen for the honour, but notes he’s a lifelong fan of the race, which takes place this year on November 1.”When I was in college at Morehouse in Atlanta, this was really my New York fix, watching the marathon,” he said. “Because I will go to my grave, you know – hopefully, no time soon – saying that New York City is the greatest city on God’s planet! And I think the marathon is a big demonstration of that, people coming from all over the world, to do their best. There’s no better city in the world to do that than New York City.”An added bonus for Lee: The race goes through the Fort Greene neighbourhood in Brooklyn, where he grew up and where his film company’s office is now. He used to put his kids in their strollers and greet the runners. As part of his race duties, he’ll ride the 26.2-mile route in the grand marshall’s car.Lee is known as one of New York’s most avid sports fans for his die-hard support of the New York Knicks and also the Yankees.last_img read more

Read more

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU:Linnell McLean, president of the Trelawny Football Association, said he is anticipating a great season of football in his parish, following Sunday’s final of the President’s Cup, which Coopers Pen won in convincing fashion – 4-2 over Harmony FC – at the Elleston Wakeland Centre.”Of course, the most important result we hope for at the end of this season of football in Trelawny is for our clubs to feature significantly in the confederation’s Super League and, of course, stake a claim for a spot in the Premier League,” McLean said.”That would be the greatest of all coming out of this pending season,” he reiterated.The parish has not produced a Premier League club since the high-flying act of Village United, which ended in relegation at the end of the 2011-12 season.With the likes of Clark’s Town (Trelawny Major League champions) gaining promotion to the Western Confederation Super League, and with Coopers Pen, Duanvale and Baca Star also in the mix, McLean is hopeful.upward trend”These clubs are on an upward trend over the last couple of seasons and all indications are that this will continue. It can only augur well for football in this parish as we try to improve all aspects of the game here,” noted McLean, “[and] that they get all available support to grow and become better.”Two of the most critical areas for such development are quality of playing surfaces and the number of young players coming through the ranks.The long-serving president believes that once these areas are addressed, it would make it easier for clubs to begin challenging the other dominant parishes for spots in the bigger, more lucrative leagues.Part of the plan, according to McLean, is to drive derbies and rivalries to their maximum, in order to stimulate interest and garner muchneeded sponsorship.”It’s on these platforms that we must build. Trelawny football is not the worst of the western parishes, neither do we boast of being the best, because we have some ways to go on that note. But I think we can get there,” reasoned McLean.On Sunday, McLean presented the winning team, Coopers Pen, with the President’s Cup, the symbol of the opening of the football season in Trelawny.The win was made possible thanks to a double strike from Christopher Noble in the 22nd and 31st minutes, plus goals from Shaunavan McKenzie, who netted the opener in the sixth, and AndrÈ Palmer, who scored in the 79th minute.Shaquelle Reid and Ricardo Reid (no relation) scored for Harmony, which ended with 10 players after O’Shane Stewart was shown a red card.last_img read more

Read more

first_imgEPL Points Standing P W D L F A Pts GD1. Chelsea 13 10 1 2 29 10 31 192. Liverpool 13 9 3 1 32 14 30 183. Man City 13 9 3 1 29 12 30 174. Arsenal 13 8 4 1 28 13 28 155. Tottenham 13 6 6 1 19 10 24 96. Man United 13 5 5 3 18 15 20 37. Everton 13 5 4 4 16 15 19 18. Watford 13 5 3 5 17 21 18 -49. West Brom 13 4 5 4 17 16 17 110. Southampton 13 4 5 4 13 12 17 111. Stoke City 13 4 4 5 14 19 16 -512. Bournemouth 13 4 3 6 15 19 15 -413. Burnley 13 4 2 7 12 21 14 -914. Leicester City 13 3 4 6 16 22 13 -615. Middlesbrough 13 2 6 5 12 15 12 -316. West Ham 13 3 3 7 14 24 12 -1017. Crystal Palace 13 3 2 8 21 26 11 -518. Hull City 13 3 2 8 11 28 11 -1719. Swansea City 13 2 3 8 16 26 9 -1020. Sunderland 13 2 2 9 12 23 8 -11last_img read more

Read more

first_imgIt was Usain Bolt unlike he has ever been seen before on the track — taking part in a mixed 4×100-metre relay. The first edition of the Nitro Athletics series at Lakeside Stadium saw the Bolt All-Stars winning the night, with Australia claiming second in the six-team event on Saturday. Bolt lined up in the second leg of the mixed relay against three other men and two female sprinters — Mariko Nagano from Japan and 16-year-old Riley Day of Australia. With fellow Jamaican and former world record holder Asafa Powell running the opening leg for the All-Stars, Bolt was always going to get the baton in first place. The gap was much bigger by the time Bolt handed off to Jenna Prandini, although Day was also impressive. But Bolt and his team easily won the event. Bolt, the eight-time Olympic champion, has committed to competing in all three Nitro events over an eight-day period in Melbourne. The meet continues on Feb. 9 and Feb. 11 at the same stadium. Also in the field are Bolt’s fellow Jamaican sprinter Michael Frater, Rio de Janeiro Olympics 400-meter hurdles champion Kerron Clement and American long jumper and sprinter Jarrion Lawson. Teams from Australia, England, China, Japan and New Zealand, composed of 12 men and 12 women, are also competing in the meet. Events include the mixed medley relays, sprints over 60 and 200 metres, the long jump and the elimination mile, where at the end of the first, second and third laps, the last-place runner is eliminated.last_img read more

Read more

first_img “No, no, no, I still have to do a lot of 800s,” he insisted. “Hopefully, they send me to the World Relays this year for the 4×8,” he projected. “But I have a couple of 800s to run at the All-Comers meets.” Those events are scheduled for May and June in the weeks leading up to the National Senior Championships. “The 400 hurdles is the main focus for this season,” said the former University of the West Indies star, “but the 800m is still in the mix.” Asked what event was his priority, he responded: “If I may say, I do prefer running the hurdles than the 800m right now.” Noting respectfully that Jamaica’s top 400m hurdlers now include Olympic finalist Annsert Whyte and two-time World Junior champion Jaheel Hyde, he said: “I have something that they don’t have, 1.47 going 800.” His best time in the 800m is 1:47.30. “We’re all in the mix going 400m which is 46-mid so right now,” he continued. “It’s just for me to perfect the technique and I’ll be right there with them.” Hibbert’s foray into the 400m hurdles continues this Saturday at the UTech Classic. MORE 800S TO RUN Jowayne Hibbert, Jamaica’s reigning 800 metre champion, is trying something new. Hibbert is experimenting with the 400 metres hurdles this season, and the early results have encouraged him. The former Kingston College athlete says his 800m strength is an asset to him in his new venture. “My coach, Mr Fitz Coleman, and I sat down and we thought about giving the 400 metre hurdles a chance this season,” Hibbert said during last week’s Inter-Collegiate Track and Field Championships. His two attempts at the event have yielded times of 52.33 and 51.99 seconds respectively. “It’s been going good so far,” he said. “I’m catching the technique,” he assessed. “I already have the strength and I have the basic speed for it,” Hibbert listed, “So it only gets better from here.” The 2012 and 2013, 2015 Inter-Collegiate 800m champion isn’t dropping the two-lap run completely.last_img read more

Read more

first_img“Yes, for all intents and purposes, it will be his biggest test,” Victolero said “In that game, we will see how far he can carry us. But right now, I think he (Hill) is still OK for the team.”Ginebra is tall, beefy and can be as physical as any team in the conference, and coach Tim Cone has been known to take advantage of the weaknesses of his opponents.Meanwhile, Larry Fonacier, in just his third game reunited with coach Yeng Guiao at NLEX, was named the PBA Press Corps’ Player of the Week for the period covering Aug. 21 to 27.Fonacier scored 16 points and had four rebounds to help the Road Warriors clip San Miguel, 103-100, also on Sunday.ADVERTISEMENT Malcolm Hill has been scoring well, but in an 88-92 loss to the Elasto Painters in a game that was physical, to say the least, all the kinks in the young former Illinois star’s armor surfaced.After the loss, coach Chito Victolero said Hill, who is in his first professional stint and is fresh out of college, is “still OK as far as I am concerned.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Hill fired 28 points and had 20 rebounds against the Painters, but clearly doesn’t have the physical strength to go up against the likes of powerhouse teams’ imports like San Miguel’s Wendell McKines, Barangay Ginebra’s Justin Brownlee and Meralco’s Allen Durham.Victolero admitted that Hill will be put to a test, that would more or less determine whether he stays or goes, when the Hotshots clash with the Gin Kings this Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum. MOST READ Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Star, a legitimate threat to San Miguel Beer’s Grand Slam chase took a major hit on Sunday night, when the Hotshots saw a four-game winning streak in the PBA Governors’ Cup come to a screeching halt against Rain or Shine.After the Hotshots paraded the menacing and dominating Ricardo Ratliffe to take the Beermen to the distance in the Commissioner’s Cup’s Final Four, Star was expected to tap a reinforcement of equal—if not better—talent to prepare for San Miguel in the season-closing conference.ADVERTISEMENT Police seize P68-M worth of ‘shabu’ in Pasay Hotdog’s Dennis Garcia dies Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal Search on for 5 Indonesians snatched anew in Lahad Datu Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Bishop Baylon encourages faithful in Albay to help Taal evacuees SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball PLAY LIST 05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold02:43Philippines make clean sweep in Men’s and Women’s 3×3 Basketball01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Team PH girds for ‘Aftermath Games’ View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Read more

first_imgSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Alab Pilipinas to get veteran boost from import Reggie Okosa View comments Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netUniversity of the Philippines just found another cause for celebration when swingman Rob Ricafort secured one more judicial victory regarding his eligibility in the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball tournament.Fighting Maroons head coach Bo Perasol said Ricafort got a preliminary injunction, extending the restraining order against his ineligibility and allowing him to play for UP for the coming games.ADVERTISEMENT Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’center_img LATEST STORIES Ricafort earlier secured a TRO from Judge Marlo Magdoza-Malagar of Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 19, which had a 20-day lifespan, back in September 22.Since then, UP has gone 2-4, with Ricafort playing in the Fighting Maroons’ 98-87 victory over defending champion De La Salle in the first round.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“Rob was there when the decision was read and he was obviously happy,” said Perasol in a text message. “We’re happy of course for Rob and as a team, we’d been hoping that everything works out fine with his decision to seek relief from the courts.”The court decision allows Ricafort to participate in all of UP’s activities in the UAAP for an indefinite time until the court hears the case anew. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’last_img read more

Read more